How to E-File Form 2290: All You Need to Know About the IRS Mandated Electronic Filing
Form 2290 is a tax form that you need to file if you own a heavy vehicle weighing 55,000 pounds or more. The IRS mandates that everyone who owns a heavy vehicle with 5000 miles or above in the odometer should file their form 2290 before the due date.
Filing your 2290 tax return is required before using your truck in interstate commerce. After the successful completion of the filing process, you will receive an IRS schedule 1 copy, which acts as proof of 2290 tax payment.
If you own a heavy highway vehicle with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more, you must file 2290 and pay the Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) return.
You must complete and return Form 2290 to the IRS each year to report and pay the HVUT.
The Heavy Highway Use Tax is due on August 31st. For a newly purchased vehicle, HVUT 2290 due date is the last day of the month following the month of the vehicles’ first use.
For example, if your vehicle was first used on a public highway during the month of July, then you need to file your 2290 Form between July 1 and August 31.
The HVUT is paid using IRS Form 2290 which can be filed electronically through an IRS approved e-filing provider like eForm2290.com.
Who Needs to File Form 2290?
If you own a heavy vehicle in the United States of America, then you are required to pay 2290 online before the due date. You should file form 2290 online if you fulfill the following criteria:
- If you own a truck with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more, this is the most important criteria for deciding if you need to file your form 2290 tax. The weight should be measured from an approved weighing company. You will have to provide the correct value while entering the gross weight while filing your form 2290.
- If you're a Limited Liable Company (LLC), your trucks are subject to truck tax. This is a fixed fee that's paid annually and can't be waived. Even if you have multiple trucks registered under your business, you'll still have to pay the truck tax for all of them.
- If your odometer is over 5000 miles (7500 for agricultural vehicles), then you need to file Form 2290. Moreover, you will need to confirm that it is not reset.
The Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax is crucial for the lorry owners and drivers as heavy-duty trucks inflict considerable damage to public roads. The effect of trucks is that the vehicle owners using the same roads experience divisions and further damage to public roadways. The Government spends its money on the preservation, repair, and maintenance of highways and roads with the taxes collected by the owners or drivers of heavy vehicles.
What are the benefits of e-filing?
As e-filing is free, taxpayers should feel more comfortable filing their returns electronically. The e-file feature has all of the information necessary to complete Form 2290 automatically. Below are some of the features of e-filing.
- Saves Time- The government has made tax collection much easier. The taxpayers don't need to visit a tax inspector. They can send all the information from their office or home, and it will be received almost at any time of day.
- No Duplication- With e-submissions, you don't need to worry about running out of paper. That's right! NO DUPLICATION.
- Avoid Errors- The e-filing software greatly reduces the number of errors. The software allows checking tax and accounting reporting automatically, processing data more accurately and reporting in compliance with the standard.
- No Stress- When using e-filing, the taxpayer has the opportunity to get from the tax authority an official statement that confirms they are compliant. This information is also transmitted by tax authority through an authorized operator in a secure form. Thus, with e-filing, you have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your taxes are filed correctly and securely.
- Confidentiality- It provides the necessary level of information security and is equipped with the latest encryption software to protect your privacy.
- Improving Data Processing- The electronic reporting system has improved data processing. The input check and the accounts are separated. This is due to the e-filing system, which increases the efficiency of the data processing and reduces errors.
- Timely Updates- With tax time around the corner, you'll want to make sure you're up-to-date. That's why e-filing guarantees updates when the tax system changes.
The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax(HVUT) can be a real pain point, especially for companies that supply goods or services to heavy motor vehicle customers and have dealerships. If you're subject to the tax and have not registered your vehicles with the IRS, you can remedy the situation using Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return.