Land of the Cathars
A beautiful drive through the countryside of Provence brought us to the foothills of the Pyrenees, where we were to stay for a week with Malcolm Milligan and his wife Gil. Their welcome and hospitality throughout the week were wonderful and ensured the success of our holiday. The accommodation that they offered us - a luxurious and spacious apartment in a setting that dreams are made of - is available to rent for your next holiday and I recommend it highly.
From this base we first visited nearby Rennes-le-Chateau, a center of Holy Grail mysteries, recently publicised in the DaVinci Code novel and film. Then we visited several of the castles perched on the very top of mountain peaks, which were the refuge of the Cathars when they were persecuted for their beliefs at the start of the last millennium.
Particularly impressive was Montsegur. We climbed up the steps to this sacred place, paying homage to the many Cathars who gave their lives to preserve their integrity and honor the wisdom of their ancient Gnostic teachings. The burning of the Cathars at Montsegur stands as a monument for us to confront the destructive force of hate and intolerance. We united with the spirit of the Cathars, to live in the power of love instead.
Following is an account of the martyrdom of the Cathars at Montsegur, drawn from a much longer original article, 'The Church's War on the Cathars' by Eric Wynants...
The wealth of the monastic orders and the intolerance of the bishops roused the contempt of the nobles who accused them of self-indulgence and lack of interest in the poor. The common priests, through the neglect of their superiors, had fallen into discredit on account of their poverty and illiteracy. Very different was the behavior of the Cathars. Their eloquence in presenting their beliefs and their untiring care for all in need of help, won the devotion of both nobles and common people. They became known by the name of "bons hommes" (the good men).
In general the Cathars subscribed to a doctrine of reincarnation and to a recognition of the feminine principle in religion. Indeed, the preachers and teachers of Cathar congregations were of both sexes. At the same time, the Cathars rejected the orthodox Catholic Church and denied the validity of all clerical hierarchies, all official and ordained intercessors between man and God. At the core of this position lay a gnostic tenet - the repudiation of "faith," at least as the Church insisted on it. In the place of "faith" accepted at secondhand, the Cathars insisted on direct and personal knowledge, a religious or mystical experience apprehended at firsthand. The Cathars were heirs to knowledge which partly came from the East and was known to the Gnostics and the early Christians. The basis of this secret was the transmission of the power of love. The gesture of the rite was the material and visible means of projecting this power. Behind it was hidden the spiritual gift, by which the soul was helped, and was able to cross without suffering the narrow portal of death, to escape the shadows and become merged with the light.
In the Black Mountain, not far from Carcassone, there was found a chamber, dating from the Cathar period, containing skeletons. "They lay in a circle, with their heads at the center and their feet at the circumference, like the spokes of a wheel." Those who have studied magical rites will recognize in this posture of death a very ancient rite intended to facilitate the escape of the soul, to allow it to traverse the intermediate worlds by virtue of the impetus given by union.
It was inevitable that sooner or later the clash would come, for no expressions of faith could be more diametrically opposed than between the Catholics and the Cathars. The Cathars were part of the movement of the poor, dating back to older times. Wealth was rejected by the Cathars as "external." Catharism spread with extraordinary speed in Southern France. It was the radiant cult of the pure spirit which took possession of men's souls, and it seriously endangered the materialistic Church of the Pope.
Pope Innocent III realized this and dispatched several apostolic legates to Southern France. These legates went to Toulouse, which was the capital of Catharism. When the legates were rejected, and one of them murdered, Innocent III ordered a crusade of mercenary knights and soldiers. Although there had been intermittent persecution of heretics all through the previous century, especially through the Inquisition, the Church now mobilized her forces in earnest. They were resolved to strike a resounding blow, which would bring misery and terror to the south. The mercenaries, having no personal loyalty or standard of honor, were brutal and godless. The heresy was to be extinguished once and for all.
On the 21st of July 1209, an army of some thirty thousand knights and foot soldiers from northern Europe descended like a whirlwind on the Languedoc - the mountainous northeastern foothills of the Pyrennees in what is now Southern France. In the ensuing war, the whole territory was ravaged, crops were destroyed, towns and cities were razed, a whole population was put to the sword. This extermination occurred on so vast, so terrible a scale that it may well constitute the first case of "genocide" in modern European history. In the town of Beziers alone, for example, at least fifteen thousand men, women, and children were slaughtered wholesale - many of them in the sanctuary of the church itself. When an officer inquired of the Pope's representative how he might distinguish heretics from true believers, the reply was, "Kill them all. God will recognize his own." This quotation, though widely reported, may be apocryphal. Nevertheless, it typifies the fanatical zeal and bloodlust with which the atrocities were perpetrated. The same papal representative, writing to Innocent III in Rome, announced proudly that "neither age nor sex nor status was spared."
Surviving Cathars disappeared into remote hiding places in the forests and mountain clefts of the Pyrenn es. The heart of the resistance movement was at Montsegur, originally an ancient Manichaean temple consecrated to sun worship. By April of 1243, a vast army of more than ten thousand surrounded the mountain, and by March 1, Montsegur finally capitulated. The Cathars were accorded unexpected generosity. Provided they abjured their heretical beliefs and confessed their "sins" to the Inquisition, they would be freed and subjected only to light penances. Yet, they decided not to do so. On March 15, the truce expired. At dawn the following day more than two hundred Cathars were dragged roughly down the mountainside. Not one recanted. There was not time to erect individual stakes. They were locked into a large wood-filled stockade at the foot of the mountain and burned en masse.
Want to renew your life?
- Learn valuable life skills and key insights to master all your life challenges.
- Advance on a path of practical spirituality - being the difference you'd like to see in the world. The human heart made visible.
- Have personal support from your coach to make transitions that will fulfill your potential.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Find Your Identity ~ Know deep-down really who you are.
- Develop Powerful Resilience ~ How to be more robust to knocks in life.
- Awakening Intuition ~ Learn how to pay attention to your unconscious.
- Sweet Tooth ~ Train your brain to lose your sweet tooth.
- Finish What You Start ~ Sprint all the way past the finish line.
- Do It Now ~ A hypnosis audio to trigger deep, emotionally driven activity.
- Life Priorities ~ Hypnosis can help you clarify what really matters to you.
- Stop Thinking About Someone ~ A session to help you move on from thoughts that have been constantly pestering you.
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.