Trans4mind Home Page
Home Article Library Career & Business Skills

4 Types of Work Visas You Need To Know

Work Visas

A work visa is an important permit for employees when they go abroad. It ensures their chances of securing a promising career after a long process. Each country has different types of work visas, and it helps employees know what to apply for. Furthermore, the length of getting the visa varies depending on the country and employer.

Why do you need to know these work visas? It ensures that the employee completes the proper process and secures their career. These documents are proof that you are a legitimate employee seeking work. Once you know what type of work visa you are looking for, you are on the right track to a great career.

Special Work Permit (SWP)

A Special Work Permit is a visa meant for the short term. It is valid for up to six months of employment, and it cannot go longer than that period. In this process, the local company should be willing to serve as the Petitioner. Therefore, a foreigner remains a tourist during the validity period. The tourist visa should get an extension when necessary.

The SWP can extend for another three months, but the employer should coordinate accordingly. It takes two to three weeks to issue the SWP. After issuing the permit, the employee will receive an order of approval so they can work.

Provisional Work Permit (PWP)

The Provisional Work Permit is for foreigners who hold temporary visitor visas but wish to work in the Philippines. It is in place while the employer coordinates the 9G working visa. The PWP is usually valid for three months from the issued date until the 9G visa comes, whichever goes first.

If you are a foreigner who wishes to work while your Alien Employment Permit is in progress, you should secure a PWP to work in the country. Having no PWP means you cannot legally work and should keep the papers safe.

Alien Employment Permit (AEP)

An Alien Employment Permit is for longer work assignments in a country. It is valid for one (1) to (5) five years, depending on the contract’s duration, and is renewable for a maximum of (5) five years. By law, all foreigners should possess an AEP to work in the Philippines. You can file it yourself or let your employer file it for you. Having no AEP means you cannot legally work in the country.

9G Working Visa

The 9G Working Visa is the most common visa foreign employees can have to work in the Philippines. A work visa Philippines entitles holders to many entries and exits with a company under Philippine laws. However, the process takes two to three months. A foreigner can use an AEP in place of the 9G working visa upon submission of the documents.

It is important for the employee to update their immigration status regularly. For the employer, it is easier to get a working visa if you have secured a business permit. Lacking documentation will not proceed until the updated documents are ready for processing.

Wrapping Up

Work visas prove that you intend to work in a country. It applies to any employee seeking new opportunities while building their career. While it takes time and effort to secure one, the employee must comply with the requirements. In addition, the employer has a role in fulfilling their employee’s needs. Once the final paperwork is ready, you can start your career under new horizons.

William Ross

Author’s Bio:

William Ross may not be a lawyer by profession, but he’s one of the sharpest writers out there when it comes to corporate, human resource, and other legal services. Armed with considerable knowledge and gifted with impeccable writing skills, he can surely deliver engaging law-related content.

IndexFounding & Running a BusinessCreativity, Entertainment, Invention & DesignCareer Fulfilment & TrainingManufacturing, Building, Technology & ScienceClothing & FashionPresentation & MarketingWriting
You'll find good info on many topics using our site search: