Twenty Ways to Find the Work You Love
By Craig Nathanson
Do you ever wish you had a few more options when trying to find the work you love? Here are some ideas that might help expand your thinking.
- Change your physical space when thinking about what you want to do. (Motion changes emotion and a new location helps you think about things from a new vantage point.)
- Think about your problem (opportunity!) from the perspective of someone else. Imagine someone you admire is giving you advice about what to do. (This takes practice, but you ll get different answers that may be helpful.)
- Draw a picture of what you want. Imagine how it sounds, feels, smells, and tastes. (We all make meaning through our five senses.)
- Find someone else who is doing what you want to do and ask them for ideas. (This is called modeling. If what they are doing works for them, why not for you?)
- Define what being successful means to YOU. (You may need to redefine the meaning of success as compared to all the external meanings you have learned.)
- Practice thinking about how you can do what you love. (Think about how you are going to think about it; break your regular negative thought patterns)
- Laugh! (Humor helps break the negative patterns of thinking you may find yourself in during this time of transition.)
- Ask yourself, how would an eight year-old deal with this? (It's amazing what questions kids can ask to break it all down.)
- Post the challenge on your wall for a few days. (Your brain will get tired of not having an answer.)
- Figure out what you have at risk if you don't do the work the love now. (It's hard to be creative when nothing is at stake.)
- Define a moving-towards strategy. (Positive and Proactive strategies will always defeat negative and reactive ones.)
- Disassociate and watch yourself doing what you love. What did you do? (You will be amazed at the ideas you will come up with.)
- Move ahead in time by one year and write a letter to yourself telling you what you should do. (Part of the problem with planning in the present is that you include the baggage of the past.)
- Write down in 30 minutes all the ideas you can think of to find the work you love. (When we break overwhelming tasks into small amounts of time, our motivation and energy increases)
- Ask yourself, What's the next step I should take? Then spend 30 minutes doing physical exercise. When you come back, write down the first answer that comes to mind. (Those endorphins you get from exercise are the best mind advancing drug there is.)
- Open the dictionary and read the first word you see. Read the definition. Ask yourself, How could this apply in helping me do what I love now? (Divergent thinking can help you notice solutions from a different angle.)
- If you took a big risk right now, what are the worst and the best things that could happen? (Sometimes all it takes is using that risk taking muscle a few times.)
- Say to yourself, "I INTEND to resolve this." ("I hope" isn't good enough. Go ahead and try it. No one is listening. Notice the difference?)
- Reward yourself as you make some progress. (Internal rewards such as a nap or a ice cream cone will always last longer than external ones.)
- Allow yourself ten minutes of quiet time daily to just sit and be aware. Take deep breaths and be aware of your thoughts. (This will become the most magical part of your day.)
Congratulations on taking the first creative steps towards doing what you love! Now write down any new ideas you can come up with for the next steps you can take today. I ll be cheering you on from the sidelines.
Craig Nathanson is the author of 'P Is For Perfect: Your Perfect Vocational Day' and a coaching expert who works with people over forty. His second book, newly released, is 'Don't Just Retire and Die.' Craig's systematic approach, the trademark 'Ten P' model, helps people break free and move toward the work they love. Visit Craig's online community at The Vocational Coach.com
where you can sign up for a class, private coaching or group coaching. Or you can read other stories of mid-life change and renewal.
Good info on many topics:
Want to renew your life?
Our online, interactive video workshops present the most effective methods of holistic personal development...
- Learn valuable life skills and key insights to master all your life challenges.
- Advance on a path of practical spirituality - being the difference you'd like to see in the world. The human heart made visible.
- Have personal support from your coach to make transitions that will fulfill your potential.
Start off with a Free Life Assessment and a Free Consultation...
Have a question about Trans4mind Training?
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Hypnosis is the key to unlocking your creativity, focusing your energy and understanding yourself
Hypnosis has a long history of helping human beings be the very best they can be. It can be used to control anything controlled by the unconscious mind - pain, blood pressure, fear, confidence levels, mood, sex drive... the list goes on:
- You'll become highly productive without getting stressed
- Tap into your creative energies instantly
- Really understand yourself and others
- You'll learn how to stay calm in high pressure or uncomfortable situations
- Develop laser-like levels of focus and concentration
Lean more... Uncommon Hypnosis Course
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
We think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
And here's a fantastic resource for self-education...
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
A treasure trove of personal development wisdom
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
Payment is made through our secure transaction agent, PayPal.
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.