Looking For a Side Hustle? Here Are 3 Ways to
Make Money Writing Online
Are you looking for a side hustle that will allow you to make some extra cash?
If you have a way with words, then consider writing online to make some extra money. To make money writing, you don't need to be a published novelist or have a degree in English.
As long as you have a good knack for writing, there are all kinds of ways you can turn your skill into a lucrative side hustle. Check out this guide to learn the top ways to make money writing online.
One of the best ways to make money online is through blogging. You can either make money by setting up your own blog or by blogging for others.
Blogging for Others
If you choose to blog for others, the first thing you'll want to do is put together a portfolio of writing samples. Even if you don't have published writing on any other blogs, you can still create mock samples of how your future blog posts would look.
However, don't just create blog posts about any subject under the sun. Instead, you need to decide on a niche so you can better target future clients. For example, if you're interested in real estate, you could create a few sample blog posts about the real estate industry.
Then, you could contact local real estate agents and see if they'd like to pay you to write for their site. To gain more credibility, it's also a good idea to set your own website where you feature your portfolio, client testimonials, and discuss other aspects of your writing business.
While you can contact companies directly about blogging opportunities, you can also find job postings for bloggers online through sites like ProBlogger.
Creating Your Own Blog
If you'd rather create your own blog, then you'll need to choose a domain name and set the blog up through a hosting site. Again, if you wish to blog for yourself, it's important to choose a niche, as this will make it easier for you to draw in a specific audience and monetize your blog.
Here are some tips for creating your own blog:
- Research WordPress, Weebly, Wix, and other platforms to figure out which one is right for you
- Choose a domain name that captures the essence of your blog
- Take advantage of plugins to backup your blog and boost its security
- Set up Google Analytics so you can track user engagement
- Set up a professional branded email address
- Start building an email list on day one
- Set up unique contact forms throughout your site
- Focus on SEO to help your blog rank higher in the search results
- Do keyword research to make your blog easier to find
- Update your content and repurpose it into videos, infographics, newsletters, and social media posts
To make the most money from blogging, you'll also need to diversify your income stream. You can do this through affiliate marketing, selling online courses, displaying ads through Google AdSense, or creating membership plans.
Also, keep in mind that while blogging for yourself can be very lucrative, it can also take some time to build a following and make money. If you want to make money writing online from day one, we suggest using some other tactics on this list.
Copywriting is another great way to make money online. Many people use the terms copywriting and blogging interchangeably, however, they're not the same thing.
Copywriting involves writing persuasive marketing and advertising content that will motivate people to take some type of action, whether it be signing up for a course, buying a product, or browsing a website.
To become a successful online copywriter, you'll also need to choose a niche just as you would with blogging. While some people choose to focus on a specific industry, others choose to focus on a specific type of copywriting.
Here are some of the different types of copywriting to consider:
- Sales: This involves writing product descriptions, advertorials, or texts on adverts
- SEO: This involves writing web content and product descriptions to boost a company's web presence
- Web Content: This involves writing content for blog posts, landing pages, and social media
- Technical: This involves writing white papers and in-depth industry guides to help people better understand a product or company
- PR: This involves writing press releases or statements for the media
- Creative: This involves writing jingles or commercials for the radio or television
Once you choose which area of copywriting you want to focus on, you can start creating a portfolio of samples and reaching out to prospective clients. Once you have your portfolio set up, you can check out this guide to learn How to Get Copywriting Gigs.
3. Kindle Author
If you've always dreamed of writing a book and have a topic in mind (be it fiction or non-fiction) you may find success as a Kindle writer.
Amazon Direct Kindle Publishing allows you to self-publish your own e-books in less than five minutes. After you hit publish, your e-book will appear in Kindle stores worldwide within 24 to 48 hours.
The great thing about publishing your own e-book is that you get to keep all of the money from the sales. And, you don't have to worry about the cost of publishing your own books or the hassle of finding a publisher.
Of course, the self-publishing market is very competitive and there are thousands upon thousands of e-books in the Kindle library, so you'll need to find a way to stand out from the crowd.
Are You Ready to Make Money Writing Online?
Now that you know how to make money writing online, it's time to get started. While writing online can be a great side hustle, for many people, it can turn into a full-time job.
For more tips on making money online, be sure to check back in with our blog.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...