In Sickness and in Health: Dating in the Cancer World
Sometimes every one of us can feel lonely, especially while going through a difficult life phase. Moreover, it is absolutely ok to be willing to have a strong shoulder to lean on by your side. However, the realities of the modern world set new trends to traditional dating.
How Do I Get Back to Regular Dating Life?
● Stay Positive
Whether you have already recovered from the disease or you are still fighting, it is very important not to disappear into yourself, but to open up for the world. Be yourself, actively communicate with people, do some things that make you feel happy. In other words, live your life to the foolest, while taking care of your health. Positive emotions and happiness can only add to the successful outcomes of the treatment.
● Accept Yourself
Accept yourself just the way you are. A lot of us - people with cancer - experience some changes in appearance (such as weight gain or loss or specific surgeries) and it might take some time to get used to the idea that something in you has changed. Nevertheless, remember that you are beautiful in every complexion, as long as your soul is beautiful. You may try some popular physical and mental exercises and techniques to maintain your body in healthy shape and make you feel confident and comfortable in it.
● Think of Your Perfect Date
Outline what is important for you and what is absolutely not, when it comes to serious relationships. Think of what you really need to see in your significant other, get help from your family and friends on making up an image of someone who would always be by your side during all life’s ups and downs.
● Prepare for the Talk about Your Illness
Prepare yourself for the situation in which you will have to talk to your partner about your special health conditions. Don’t be afraid to be rejected - the person that is worthy of you will always understand and support you. Still, it is better to have “the talk” in the early stages of relationships to make sure your date is your perfect match. Think carefully of how to introduce this information to them in the best form.
Why Online Dating Is a Great Choice for Cancer Patients?
The attitude to dating through the Web is very ambiguous. Some people think it's a waste of time, while others celebrate a wedding with Filipino women, who they found online. One thing is certain: the popularity of dating sites is growing day by day.
● Wide Selection of Singles from Various Backgrounds
Dating sites are the most popular tool for dating and communication on the Internet. The peculiarity of such websites is that each user’s profile is compiled according to a pre-thought-out and convenient template. In order to become a member of an online dating website you usually need to register, providing personal information, including age, gender, sexual orientation, location, and some signup details. Most services also encourage users to add photos or videos to their profiles. In the questionnaire fields on each account page, there is information about the person’s purposes of acquaintance, traits of character and hobbies, expectations, etc.
● Ability to Choose Those Who Fit Your Dating Requirements
Once a profile is created, users can view the profiles of other users of the service using the visible profile information to decide whether to initiate contact. Most services offer digital messaging, while others provide additional services such as webcasts, online chat, video, and phone chat. Users can keep their interaction in the online space, or they can arrange a date to meet in person.
● Various Communication Tools
Modern dating sites offer the ability to increase the visibility of the profile in other users’ search; a wide selection of communication tools and options; a system of search filters to easily find a perfect, according to your personal preferences on her or his age, location, education level, attitude to bad habits or marital status, match among hundreds of website’s users and also auto-selection of a partner based on a compatibility algorithm.
● Safe Dating Environment
Trustworthy dating websites strive to ensure the safety and security of their users by introducing the best SSL-encryptions and cooperating with renowned payment companies. They also moderate the website’s profiles and content that is posted on the users’ accounts in order to prevent any inappropriate or scam-like activities.
● Detailed Reviews of the Dating Platforms Available
Just like when choosing a competitive product, there are aggregator sites that describe, review the existing dating sites, collect feedback, help the user find the most suitable service for them in the world of online dating.
Benefits of Online Dating for Cancer Patients
First of all, there are several online dating benefits compared to offline acquaintances.
- It saves your time and effort. You don’t need to spend hours getting ready for dates.
- You have an opportunity to communicate with those who you find attractive, judging from the information given on a person’s profile, avoiding awkward and shallow dates.
- In addition, online communication allows people to feel free and more confident. It's much easier for shy people to start communicating online than in real life.
- Communicating with several interlocutors at once is another benefit of online dating.
- You can reach your online date from any point of the world and at any time.
- Even paying online dating websites’ fees you save money since traditional dates usually requires a lot of organizational expenses.
Disadvantages of Online Dating for Cancer Patients
However, the online dating industry can also have some pitfalls that you should be aware of for your elevated romantic goal not to turn into a huge disappointment:
- Be careful with the people you get close to, don’t enclose any of your registration or payment details, don’t uphold relationships with people with suspicious behavior. What is more, the attractive user profile may not always correspond to the person that is behind the monitor on the other side.
- For people with cancer, it might be quite difficult to be straightforward about their illness. However, we advise you not to hide this very important information not to waste your time on unworthy people.
- Love yourself and always remember that you deserve to be loved by others. That is why never compromise anything that makes you uncomfortable in communication with a particular person.
Online dating is also a great chance to meet people from different cultures, social and educational backgrounds, and with different life values and interests. The thing is - the modern online dating industry provides a huge variety of different dating sites specialized in European, Latino, Afro-American, Asian brides, as well as Interracial and Intersexual dating platforms for serious relationships or a quick flirt without any strings attached. Just come up with the image of your perfect online date and start searching - numerous reviews on dating platforms promise that you will be able to find at least a couple of people that will make your registration on the particular website worth it.
Timothea Bradley is an ambitious blogger at https://filipino-women.net. In these difficult times for all of us, she wants to communicate more with people, share quality articles. She hopes to help someone and inspire people to move forward, despite all the difficulties that come along the way.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...