Parents and Teens: Connecting Through Activities
By Mikkie Mills
If you are a parent of a teen, you might find it challenging to find activities that are enjoyable to do together. Quality time can be created and it is possible to find fun activities to foster strong relationships that will continue all through life. There are plenty of great ideas to choose from. Many parents and teens get too busy with their own separate activities and don't take the needed time to spend together as a family.
It is not uncommon for parents and teens to feel disconnected from each other as their teens spread their wings and mature. Yes, it is very possible to find things to do with teenagers that any age will enjoy. There are plenty of great activities to choose from. Building strong family bonds is more than possible when families spend quality time together through enjoyable activities and positive interactions. Teens still need their parents and spending additional time together will make everyone feel loved and it tends to create feelings of security for all family members. When parents spend quality time with their teens, family ties are strengthened and relationships improve. It’s important to understand that teenagers are forming opinions and ideas about their world around them. Teens can develop strong and loving relationships through healthy activities.
A Sample of Activity Ideas
A Midsize suv can be useful for providing comfort and added space as you and your teen embark on new and exciting activities together. Every time of the year is a good season to enjoy some extra fun as a family. Getting bored will be a thing of the past if you put some of the following ideas into action:
- A volunteer activity is always fun for parents and their teens; working with your teen on a volunteer activity can be a very rewarding experience. Many parents and their teens find enjoyment in packing meals for the hungry or less fortunate people in the world. Working together to clean up your community can be a great way to spend a Saturday with your teen. Taking a trip to a nursing home and volunteering to entertain the elderly for an afternoon is yet another fun activity worth exploring. Volunteering with your teen will give you memories to be cherished as it strengthens your relationship.
- Take a fun class together; try to find something you have never done before. There are an abundance of classes that will interest teens and parents both. Ask your teen what they would like to learn about or try. Boys may enjoy learning woodworking or carving. There are many cost-effective class options to take. Craft and art classes will offer the chance to express creativity and make beautiful pieces of art. Perhaps a pottery class will keep parents and teens engaged and interested.
- A mini weekend vacation; rent a motel room and try a little hiking in new surroundings. Long walks and hikes tend to stir up good conversations. A weekend away with your teen opens up opportunities to get to know each other better and strengthen your relationship.
- Plan a monthly or weekly dinner night together; going out to eat at least once a month with your teen will give you something to look forward to. Take turns choosing a place to dine or you can learn and cook meals together. They can be meals from other cultures. Perhaps a cooking class would make this even more engaging.
- Try a double friend event; each can include one friend and make an enjoyable night out filled with laughter and fun. This will give you the chance to become acquainted with your teens life and get to know their friends too. If you bring one of your friends too, you just might find that you have much in common despite the age difference.
Embrace the Teen Years Together
Every teen is unique and some teens tend to be moody and unsure of themselves as they grow into adulthood. Parents and teens can embrace this awkward age together by spending quality time together through engaging activities. Stay connected with your teen and take time out for some fun and laughter.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts with friends...