Leading Social Change
By Owen Waters
The way to bring about social change in a spiritual way is to change the energy of a situation. Conflict is counter-productive as that just invokes more conflict as a reaction. Because conflict adds more energy, feeding energy to the situation, it typically makes matters worse, not better.
The key to accelerating evolutionary change lies in educating large numbers of people into the facts that they need to know. It takes work and dedication to spread the word far and wide, but it is this dedication which eventually manifests the desired shift in the public mindset.
People spread the word on important issues to their friends, causing the information to become more familiar within the global mind atmosphere and therefore more easily accepted by the general public. New ideas evolve from the early stage of seeming strange to the later stage of becoming obvious to all. At that point, any campaigns for the old way of thinking cease to gain support.
Protest is perfectly valid, provided it takes the high ground of being the voice of reason and avoids any temptation towards becoming destructive. In recent history, the champion of protest with passive resistance was Gandhi. He single-handedly inspired the nation of India to resist the injustices imposed by foreign rulers, always insisting that the protestors must maintain a non-violent stance. When his movement built up to a climax, he firmly but politely asked the occupiers, the then-British Empire, to leave his country.
Today, the Internet provides a key to the evolution of true democracy. With the Internet, our political system can evolve from one of representative rule to one of rule by majority vote on every significant issue. Currently, we elect representatives to evaluate critical issues for us and then vote on our behalf. These same representatives could equally well spend their time briefing the voters on core issues so that people could vote directly on each one. Then, the will of the people would be carried out directly instead of by proxy through an elected representative.
Once Internet democracy replaces representative democracy, the stage is then set for an even fairer system - one beyond democracy. In a system where the majority vote rules, 51% of the public can decide what the other 49% must do, whether they like it or not. This problem can be reduced by requiring a two-thirds majority vote, but there would still be some unhappy people who would be imposed upon by the majority.
Because the Earth is designed to be a free will zone of human experience, freedom of choice is actually a birthright created by the Creator of humanity. Therefore, no political system has the right to remove freedom of choice, nor to ration it as a privilege granted in exchange for conformity.
In an ideal system that evolves beyond majority rule by democracy, your personal choices will be held as essential options. No one will be forced to be a part of anything that they disagree with. For example, if the nation is to go to war, then the cost should be paid by those in favor and not by those against.
That way, the dignity of the individual is honored, as is freedom of choice. Then, if the war turns into a quagmire worse than the Vietnam War that nobody wants any more, they can simply choose to stop paying the bill.
Did you find this article helpful? Share your thoughts and suggestions with your Facebook or Twitter friends below...