The Positive Approach
My recent article The Wheel of Life discussed the "high end" of personal growth - the transpersonal realm where a developed personality merges into the "higher self" of unbounded consciousness. This is a world of integration.
I also emphasized in that article that although we have this spiritual dimension, that we may be aware of to a greater or lesser extent, nevertheless the foundation of our lives is the body-mind experience... we feel and express ourselves in the very solid, physical dimension of our life on Earth. This is a world of separation. Each of us is a unique player in the game of life and as a result of our experience, we learn: both positive learning (helpful skills, insightful knowledge) and negative learning (developing fears and limiting beliefs, for example). A few years on this planet and we can get into a right stew! I know I did. My attempt to sort out my personal life involved psychotherapy and I naturally wanted to pay back the help I received by helping others similarly: I became a psychotherapist.
It became apparent to me, however, that psychotherapy was focused too much on undoing the negative learning; there was an imbalance. We also need to make headway with our positive learning or we remain dependent on further therapy to continually dig us out of the next hole. We need tools for positive learning - indeed, simply having and using such tools makes the psychotherapy work largely unnecessary, except as a rescue stage for those new to personal growth.
It was this realization that first interested me in the personal development field. Following some years of experimentation and discovery, I became well grounded in "positive psychology" and had great results, both for myself and others I coached. This included Mind Development courses, taught by my mentor at that time, Gregory Mitchell. I developed further tools to fill gaps I perceived in the brilliant heritage that positive psychologists such as Alfred Adler, Abraham Maslow, Carl Rogers, Eric Fromm and many others have left us. And I decided to devote my career to this direction - the Trans4mind website was born at this juncture, to share what I had learned... again, my "payback."
The Character Strengths and Virtues handbook by the Values in Action Institute, represents an attempt on the part of the research community to identify and classify the positive psychological traits of human beings. This manual identifies six universal values that lead to increased happiness when practiced...
- Wisdom and Knowledge: creativity, curiosity, open-mindedness, love of learning, perspective
- Courage: bravery, persistence, integrity, vitality
- Humanity: love, kindness, social intelligence
- Justice: citizenship, fairness, leadership
- Temperance: forgiveness and mercy, humility, prudence, self control
- Transcendence: appreciation of beauty and excellence, gratitude, hope, humor, spirituality
The way out is the way through - it's not by denial or avoidance, it's by acceptance and responsibility. The power of love, in other words, replacing fear. This is the way forward. But for most of us, we can use some support and guidance, to get our head above water and start to swim ahead - then we can approach dry land, walk, run and eventually learn to fly. The latter - ascending in the spiritual dimension - seems the trickiest bit, but actually it's a continuation of the same path: that of ever-increasing mindfulness and integrative love.
Go further in the free online course, The Positive Approach.
+ Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Find Your Identity ~ Know deep-down really who you are.
- Believe In Yourself ~ Build trust in who you are and what you can do.
- Self Discipline ~ Finally take charge of your life.
- Develop Powerful Resilience ~ How to be more robust to knocks in life.
- Awakening Intuition ~ Learn how to pay attention to your unconscious.
- Sweet Tooth ~ Train your brain to lose your sweet tooth.
- Finish What You Start ~ Sprint all the way past the finish line.
- Do It Now ~ A hypnosis audio to trigger deep, emotionally driven activity.
- Life Priorities ~ Hypnosis can help you clarify what really matters to you.
- Stop Thinking About Someone ~ A session to help you move on from thoughts that have been constantly pestering you.
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
The New Wave in Meditation Technology
is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life