Principle #7: The Principle of Witnessing
By Bill Harris, Centerpointe Research Institute
Everyday we communicate with dozens of people using the Centerpointe program, some of whom are having a hard time with the program. Sometimes these people are angry, depressed, fearful, anxious, or confused - or are creating any number of other responses. One of the main instructions we give these people is to "watch what is happening - watch with curiosity."
This is a deceptively simple instruction that nonetheless has tremendous power. What does it mean? And how do you do it?
Being the witness, the watcher, the observer, has been a part of meditative practice for centuries, but what exactly this really means is not often explained in a way that makes down to earth practical sense.
You may be tired of hearing me harp on the subject of resistance, and how resistance creates any discomfort you may be experiencing in the program (or in life in general, for that matter). I find myself saying or writing at least fifty times a week that if you are having any discomfort in the Centerpointe program, it's because somewhere, on some level, there is resistance. Some people think I say this just to blow off people who are having a negative reaction to Holosync, so as to not have Holosync take the blame.
Not so. Not so at all. To adopt a position of power, one in which you have control over your destiny, you must take full responsibility for whatever response you are creating to whatever is happening, to whatever stimuli you are faced with. If you cannot acknowledge that you are creating your response to everything that happens to you, you are helpless, a victim of your environment.
Only when you take responsibility is there a possibility of doing something about your situation or creating something different. The main source, then, of both personal power and peace of mind is taking all responsibility for what happens (notice I didn't say "blame," I said "responsibility").
So, first, you must acknowledge that whatever your experience with Holosync or the Centerpointe program, it is YOUR response. It comes from you, from who you are. As I've said so many times, "We provide the stimulus, you provide the response." Sometimes this response comes from an unconscious part of you, one you have little or no control over (or so it seems), but it nonetheless comes from you (rather from some force outside of you, regardless of the appearance).
Why would you create a negative response? Because a part of you is in resistance to whatever is happening. What, then, is happening, and why would you resist it?
Here's the answer: Some part of you is trying to reorganize, to change, as a result of the Holosync stimulus, but you associate keeping that part the way it is with your safety in the world and, at least unconsciously, you don't feel safe letting the change happen.
Perhaps you have stayed very self-contained since you were a small child, not letting anyone get close to you because, in your family, it wasn't safe to get close. But now Holosync is breaking up the old pattern and creating a new ability to be close, intimate, and connected with others. Consciously you may want this, but since letting go of the old defense mechanism feels unsafe to that "inner child" part, you resist. The more important this old way of being seems essential to your safety to that unconscious part of you, the greater the resistance will be. And the greater the resistance, the greater the discomfort, the greater the suffering.
Whatever the discomfort, whatever the upheaval, whatever the issue, some part of you - some inner strategy that you associate with safety - is trying to grow and evolve, and another part of you is not willing to let go.
What can you do? Some people (those for whom resistance is a major tool in their survival arsenal, as was the case with me) just want to quit. "I didn't start this program to be pissed off all the time," they say to me. Or they say "I feel worse than ever. Who would want to do this?!" (Remember that the majority of people do NOT create this kind of resistance, or they create it only occasionally when something big is shifting. I don't want to give the impression to those of you trying to decide whether or not to join the program that you are looking forward to all kinds of discomfort if you join, because chances are, you aren't.)
Here is where the concept of watching, witnessing, of being the observer, comes to play.
First of all, remember that the discomfort is not necessary. It is only there because of your resistance. It is NOT there because life is unfair, or because of the situation you are in, or because of Holosync. It is there because you don't feel safe changing and are therefore resisting the change.
Some very wise people, over many centuries of slogging through their own personal mental, emotional, and spiritual change process, have discovered that if you can dissociate yourself to some degree from what is happening, if you can just step back and watch, the resistance diminishes and allows the change to take place - without the discomfort. Eureka!
All personal change approaches that work involve the creation of a greater awareness of what is happening, based on the fundamental principle that you can only continue behaviors and feelings that are self-destructive if you do them unconsciously - without awareness.
Most of us have very elaborate strategies designed to keep us unaware, but there is a very simple way to defeat them. Step back the next time you are feeling any kind of discomfort and say to yourself: "there I am, feeling angry" (or whatever), and then just notice yourself being angry. Any feeling you have will be a sensation in your body, so just notice where in your body you feel it. Notice if it stays the same or changes, if it stays in one place or moves around. Be curious. Pretend you are a scientist who has been searching the Amazon jungle for 20 years for a certain butterfly, and finally... here it is! How carefully and curiously would you watch? Bring that amount of curiosity to bear on whatever is happening for you in that moment.
Notice that you cannot be a stuck in your suffering very effectively if a part of you is watching. If you are curious and watching, it becomes harder and harder to resist. Curiosity is on the opposite side of the fence from resistance, and without resistance you cannot create suffering. Once you are successfully watching, it becomes very obvious that you could make another choice of how to respond to whatever is happening.
Several years ago, in the infancy of the Centerpointe program, a woman who was in the program called me in an extremely agitated state. "I'm freaking out!" she said. "I feel like I'm coming apart at the seams! Help!" She really was freaked out - as freaked out as a person can be and still successfully communicate with someone else.
I told her to go lie down on her bed and very carefully notice the feelings that were happening in her body, to be very curious about every sensation, and then call me back and give me a report on it. Twenty minutes later she called to tell me that (darn it) she couldn't really give me much of a report because the whole feeling had disappeared as soon as she adopted the point of view of the curious watcher. All she felt now was a kind of euphoria, as if something had shifted for her!
One of the amazing things that happens as people go through the Centerpointe program is that this "watcher" becomes more and more prominent, more and more easy to summon when needed, and soon becomes a constant companion. This is the real beginnings of what mystics call "expanded awareness." From this point, expanded awareness grows even greater, to include an increased sense of connection with the rest of the universe - but it begins with the simple ability to reserve a small part of you that just watches yourself and whatever is happening with detachment and curiosity.
The real answer to the question of what to do when you are resisting, but the resistance is unconscious, is to just watch. Stop fighting with yourself and just notice what is happening. Distress and discomfort fall away when you do this almost as if by magic.
So if resistance is your middle name, as it was mine before I went through the Centerpointe program, please take very seriously the simple instruction to "watch with curiosity." It takes some practice and some will-power because the habit of resisting is deeply ingrained and very much an automatic response, but after some practice it will become an effortless part of you, your own personal "Prince of Peace" who will help you through any situation you encounter.
And, of course, remember that daily meditation with Holosync is a very effective way to foster and strengthen this very essential part of you.
I have written here mostly about resistance as people from time to time experience it while doing the Centerpointe Program, but this principle applies to EVERYTHING. In any situation where you are uncomfortable, no matter what it is, you are resisting whatever is going on. To the degree you do that, you suffer. If you can step aside and watch yourself have whatever reaction you are having, you will find that there are other choices of how to respond, at which point you can pick the one you would like to have, rather than just be an automatic response mechanism who suffers every time a certain trigger happens. People who are spoken of as having "higher consciousness" or "expanded awareness" are those who have mastered this principle of witnessing. You can do it, too. Start practicing, and keep meditating.
Bill Harris, Director
Centerpointe Research Institute
Want to renew your life?
- Learn valuable life skills and key insights to master all your life challenges.
- Advance on a path of practical spirituality - being the difference you'd like to see in the world. The human heart made visible.
- Have personal support from your coach to make transitions that will fulfill your potential.
Support your personal development with these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Find Your Identity ~ Know deep-down really who you are.
- Develop Powerful Resilience ~ How to be more robust to knocks in life.
- Awakening Intuition ~ Learn how to pay attention to your unconscious.
- Sweet Tooth ~ Train your brain to lose your sweet tooth.
- Finish What You Start ~ Sprint all the way past the finish line.
- Do It Now ~ A hypnosis audio to trigger deep, emotionally driven activity.
- Life Priorities ~ Hypnosis can help you clarify what really matters to you.
- Stop Thinking About Someone ~ A session to help you move on from thoughts that have been constantly pestering you.
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
The World of Inspiration eLibrary
- Many profoundly illuminating afterlife, NDE and OBE ebooks
- The largest collection of high-power inspiration and mind development books anywhere on the Internet
- Hundreds of hours of fascinating interviews with world spiritual leaders and mind experts
- Whole worlds of philosophy, psychology and esoteric history explored
- Fascinating back-libraries of magazines exploring new paradigms and alternative thinking
Step inside. Just like a real library, there are thousands of quality eBooks presented on three "floors" and in different "rooms." To purchase your $15 Lifetime Membership to the World of Inspiration eLibrary, click the following button:
The transaction is in the language and currency of your choice.