Want to renew your life?
We believe living a life that is just OK is not OK.
We believe that everyone, given the tools, can live a brilliant life!
Start off with your Free Life Assessment
Health & Nutrition Books>
- "Lighten Up!" by Pete Cohen & Judith Verity (from Amazon.co.uk). The book works through an eight-week programme concentrating on helping you to stop battling with unsuccessful diets and focusing on making life changes for a slimmer, fitter and healthier you. For once this is not hype, it is not a fad and it is not something that will bring about only short term results. This book provides intelligent solutions to people who have struggled to become slimmer, healthier and fitter. If you need motivation and a solution then look no further.
- "Medicine: The New World Religion" by Olivier Clerk (from Amazon.co.uk). Put forth in this book is the assertion that medicine is actually ruled by a set of beliefs, myths, and rites of Christianity it has never freed itself from. Supporting this claim are discussions about the ways in which physicians have taken the place of priests, vaccination plays the same role as baptism, the search for health has replaced the quest for salvation, and the hope of physical immortality (cloning and genetic engineering) takes priority over eternal life. This book argues that the medical establishment has become the government's ally, as the Catholic Church has in the past. "Charlatans" are prosecuted today, as "heretics" were in the past, and dogmatism rules out promising medical theories. It contends that only by becoming aware of how religious beliefs and primitive fears unconsciously influence one's relationships with medicine can people start walking on the path of freedom, personal responsibility, and individual sovereignty.
- "Food Is Better Medicine Than Drugs: Your Prescription for Drug Free Health". Patrick Holford and Jerome Burne explain why food amy be better medicine for your health than the drugs your doctor is likely to prescribe. Based on solid scientific trials and illuminating case histories, this book will revolutionise the way you think about your health and put you back in charge. The authors reveal how modern medicine has become distorted and is now, for reasons largely to do with profit and power, heavily dependent on prescription drugs. They look at common health problems (pain/arthritis, heart, depression, diabetes, memory, hormones, digestion, breathing, infections, etc.) and compare the effectiveness of nutrition-based approaches with today's potentially harmful commonly used medicines. Holford and Burne then recommend the foods and supplements you need to take to keep you healthy and to help reverse your health problem, suggesting safe drug-free alternatives to painkillers, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, blood thinners, cholesterol reducers, HRT, antidepressants, stimulants and tranquilisers. Simple to follow, practical and convincing, this is a book you need to read.
- "Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing" by Carolyn Myss. Fuses Hindu chakras, Christian sacraments and the Judaic Tree of Life to form seven stages of power in the human body. If you listen to what she's saying - consider it as one possible truth for the human existence - you will never look at life the same way again. It's like putting on a pair of glasses and for the first time in your life, you can see clearly. You understand why we exist on this earth and what our purpose in life is - you can never go back to the way your life used to be, because finally you "get it."
- "The Handbook of Self-Healing" by Meir Schneider. Meir, who cured himself of congenital blindness, has since discovered self-healing techniques that work on all parts of the body. An essential reference for those who take full responsibility for their health, fitness and well-being. Detailed discussions cover all the major body systems - skeletal, muscular, nerves, circulatory, etc. - and many debilitating diseases - osteoporosis, diabetes, among others. The suggestions and exercises are thoroughly explained and illustrated. An empowering work.
- "The New Nutrition : Medicine for the Millennium" by Michael Colgan. This book does a great job explaining in layman's terms how we can all take better care of ourselves through the use of nutritional supplements added to our diets that usually are woefully lacking the substances required for optimal health.
- "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill: The complete guide to fats, oils, cholesterol and human health" by Udo Erasmus. Describes the role of fats in health. You may be shocked and surprised by what you learn in this groundbreaking and massively influential book.
- "The Virtues of Soy: A Practical Health Guide & Cookbook" by Monique Gilbert. Soy, often declared the miracle food of the new millennium, is the most popular and complete vegetable protein source in the world. Nutrition-packed and extremely versatile, soy and soy-based products provide a vast array of health benefits. Yet many people are still unsure how to use these foods in their everyday cooking. Discover exactly why soy products are good for your health and learn more than 169 delicious ways to incorporate these foods into your diet.
- "Dr Braly's Food Allergy & Nutrition-Revolution" by Ross Tratler. A great 'self-help' book explaining the importance of optimum nutrition in relation to a new way of understanding allergies, explaining why modern-day diets have led to increased allergic sensitivity and digestive disorders, and how to get back to health. Very comprehensive.
- "It's All in Your Head: The Link Between Mercury Amalgams and Illness" by Dr. Hal A. Huggins who has led the fight to alert the public and health professionals to the dangers of using mercury in the amalgams used to fill teeth. Here he describes his battle with the American Dental Association and the results of his research studies. His discussion includes the diagnosis of mercury toxicity and the neurological and immunological diseases that can result, alongside the pros and cons of having mercury amalgam fillings removed.
- "Stopping the Clock" by Dr Ronald Klatz & Dr Robert Goldman. This book is a well researched and highly practical guide to slowing down the ageing process. It covers all the nutritional bases, from antioxidants to the long life diet and also goes into the role of vital hormones, from DHEA to melatonin.
- "The Ultimate Nutrient - Glutamine" by Judy Shabert. One of the most exciting nutrients being researched today is the amino acid glutamine. This book explains how increasing your glutamine intake can strengthen the immune system, improve muscle mass after accidents or operations, and help to heal the digestive tract if it damaged by inflamation, infection or allergies.
- "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" by Virginia Hopkins and other contributors. The breakthrough book on natural progesterone.
- "The Prostate Cancer Protection Plan: The Foods, Supplements, and Drugs that Can Combat Prostate Cancer" by Dr. Bob Arnot. Not only for men who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer but also for men who wish to decrease the risk of developing the disease, this book - with its focus on nutrition and lifestyle improvements - offers hope, expert advice and a simple, sensible program for staving off a dread killer.
- "Mayo Clinic on Managing Diabetes" by Maria Collazo-Clavell (Editor). The Mayo Clinic is possibly the most renowned medical facility in the world. Get the latest word on the best and simplest ways to treat and control diabetes.
- "Control High Blood Pressure Without Drugs: A Complete Hypertension Handbook" by Dr. Robert L. Rowan. Hypertension is called the silent disease because it often gives no warning signs or symptoms. Its impact can be devastating: Both coronary heart disease and strokes are closely related to hypertension. But there is hope. In this fully updated and revised edition of his classic work, Dr. Robert L. Rowan draws on the latest medical findings to help you prevent high blood pressure, cope with it if it occurs, and lower your blood pressure through sensible, inexpensive natural means.
- "Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy : The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating" by Walter C. Willett M.D. (Editor). Developed in conjunction with the Harvard School of Public Health, this book debunks the USDA Food Pyramid. It's much too reliant on U.S. products such as corn, wheat, and milk, ultimately benefitting American industry, not Americans' health. So here you won't find recommendations that come from special interest groups. Relying on research rather than anecdotes, this is a solidly written nutritional guide that will show you the real story behind how food is digested, from the glycemic index for carbs to the wisdom of adding a multivitamin to your diet.
Books by Patrick Holford:
- "6 Weeks to Super Health" by Patrick Holford. His latest book. Whether you are looking to lose weight, get healthy or get out of a rut, this eminently readable, well-designed, informative and authoritative guide is guaranteed to have a permanent effect on your lifestyle. The six-week plan focuses on energy levels, digestion, hormones, detoxing, boosting the immune system and finally memory and moods.
- "The New Optimum Nutrition Bible" by Patrick Holford. The book you have to read if you care about your health. Summarizes two decades of leading-edge nutritional research by the founder of the Institute of Optimum Nutrition. Always clear and lucid, nobody explains this subject so well as Patrick.
- "Optimum Nutrition for the Mind" by Patrick Holford. How we think and feel is directly affected by what we take into our bodies. Eating the right food has been proven to boost IQ, improve mood and emotional stability, sharpen the memory, and keep the mind young. Similarly, the harmful things we take into our bodies, or anti-nutrients-including oxidants, alcohol, sugar, and stimulants-negatively impact mental health. From boosting one's memory, solving depression, and beating addictions to overcoming eating disorders, preventing age-related memory decline, and balancing out mood swings, "Optimum Nutrition for the Mind" coves a wide range of important topics and should be of interest to anyone who wants to think and feel great.
- "The Holford Low GL Diet: Lose Fat Fast Using the Revolutionary Fatburner System" by Patrick Holford. When you balance your blood sugar, you'll lose weight fast. With The Holford Low GL Diet you will beat your cravings! You'll enjoy delicious meals, choosing from a wide variety of energy-boosting foods and simple menu plans. The diet is safe and easy to follow, and includes a nutritional supplementation plan to increase your energy and decrease your appetite. Tried and tested by the Institute for Optimum Nutrition, The Holford Low GL Diet is based on the latest medical and nutritional research, made totally accessible. Discover how easy it is to reprogram your body to burn your fat away.
- "100 Per Cent Health" by Patrick Holford. This text argues that all the major diseases of the 20th century are the consequences of Mankind failing to adapt to the changes that have occurred in diet, environment and lifestyle. Patrick Holford argues that people can adapt, and in so doing, avoid illness and achieve 100 per cent health.
- "The Optimum Nutrition Cookbook" by Patrick Holford and Judy Ridgway. If you thought healthy food was tasteless and boring, think again! Here are over 200 recipes using the ultimate in amazing superfoods. Whether you want to produce exotic feasts, fantastic fast food, hearty winter warmers or sumptuous desserts, these dishes are guaranteed to appeal to everyone.
- "Balancing Hormones Naturally" by Kate Neil & Patrick Holford. Kate is a leading proponent of the natural treatment of menopausal symptoms and clearly states her case here, but the whole remarkable subject of hormones is made understandable.
With more people taking charge of their own health care these days, many want access to the same reference materials their doctors, nurses, and therapists are using. These are the major resources that professionals use:
- PDR for Nutritional Supplements by Sheldon Saul Hendler (Editor), David Rorvik (Editor). The latest figures show that 75 percent of Americans are currently using nutritional supplements on a regular basis. The Physicians Desk Reference for Nutritional Supplements will help educate the consumer as to whether the many claims being made about hundreds of supplements are true, require more research, or are unsubstantiated.
- Merck Manual Diagnosis & Therapy by Mark H. Beers (Editor), et al. Known informally as the hypochondriac's bible, the Merck Manual has the lowdown on the vast expanse of human diseases, disorders, and injuries, as well as their symptoms and recommended therapy. It's intended for physicians and medical students, but though the type is tiny and the language technical, the Merck's a valuable volume for anyone with more than a passing interest in bodily ills.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. Commonly known as the DSM-IV manual, this is a useful tool for anyone currently in therapy to use for self-discovery, especially when there is mistrust, denial, anger, and agitation toward mental health care providers. The manual can literally put the afflicted and the provider "on the same page."